Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga delivers a speech at the press conference after the inauguration in Tokyo on September 162020 (Photo: AFP/VNA)
At a press conference, Mr. Suga pledged to strengthen the national health insurance system to help couples struggling with infertility pay their medical costs, reduce carbon dioxide emissions, and end localism in the administrative apparatus.
He said the Japan-US alliance will be the foundation of his foreign policy and expressed his determination to resolve the issue of North Korea’s abduction of Japanese citizens in the 1970s and 80s.
Mr. Suga, Chairman of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, became Japan’s 99th Prime Minister on Wednesday. His inauguration took place at the Imperial Palace.
The same day, the White House announced that President Donald Trump is ready to work with the new Prime Minister to consolidate the bilateral relations which were fostered under his predecessor.
China and South Korea said they look forward to improved relations with Japan now that Suga is Prime Minister. In a congratulatory telegram, Chinese President Xi Jinping said Beijing and Tokyo need to build a relationship in line with the new era.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in expressed his hope for better bilateral relations. The Korean Foreign Ministry said Seoul will continue to work with Mr. Suga and his Cabinet.
Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong sent a congratulatory letter that called Japan an important partner of ASEAN. He expected to maintain the open and lasting partnership in areas like economic cooperation and disaster response.
- Suga Yoshihide elected Japan’s Prime Minister
- Yoshihide Suga officially named as Japan s new Prime Minister replacing Shinzo Abe
- Japan has a new Prime Minister officially
- Who is Japan s new Prime Minister officially
- Bringing Vietnam-Japan extensive strategic partnership to new height
- Who are Japan s next president the forefront of Abe s successor race
- Vietnam – Japan ties unchanged: AJC Secretary General
- Japan opposes any actions that raise tensions in the East Sea
- World breaking news today September 14 Japan s Suga poised to win party race headed for premiership