Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc holds a telephone conversation with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on September 152020. (Photo: Vietnam’s Foreign Ministry)
Prime Minister Phuc had a phone talk on Tuesday with German Chancellor Angela Merkel as Vietnam and Germany celebrate 45 years of diplomatic ties (September 23).
The Vietnamese PM thanked Germany for supporting Vietnam-EU ties, especially pushing the signing and ratification of the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA) and the EU-Vietnam Investment Protection Agreement.
He asked the German Government to encourage German firms to expand cooperation with Vietnam, particularly in mechanical engineering, support industry, smart infrastructure, renewable energy, and vocational training.
Vietnam welcomes German investors amid the shift of supply and investment chains in the region, Mr. Phuc said.
He affirmed that Vietnam is ready to continue partnering with Germany in pandemic control and vaccine production while promoting trade, travelling and economic recovery.
Chancellor Merkel congratulated Vietnam on its success in controlling the COVID-19 pandemic and thanked the country for presenting masks to Germany.
Vietnam, as Chair of ASEAN in 2020 and German, as rotating Chair of the EU in the last half of 2020 pledged to continue bolstering collaboration and connectivity between the two regions, towards upgrading EU-ASEAN ties.
Highlighting the importance of the Indo-Pacific region in shaping the world order in the 21st century, Chancellor Merkel affirmed that Germany will involve more actively in the region. She called on Vietnam to work as a bridge linking Germany and the region.
The two leaders stressed the importance of the settlement of disputes in the East Sea (internationally known as the South China Sea) by peaceful means in line with international law and the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea as well as of joint efforts to ensure peace, stability, safety, security, maritime and aviation freedom in the region.
- Germany announces priorities for EU Presidency
- France, Germany push for 750-billion-euro EU recovery plan
- German businesses eyeing Vietnam
- German businesses keen on Vietnamese market
- Vietnam continues to be an attractive destination for German investors: German newspaper
- Vietnam a highly potential market for German SMEs: workshop
- Former German Vice Chancellor lands another Vietnam assignment
- Vietnam emerges as a potential market for SMEs from Germany
- Vietnam, Germany foster bilateral cooperation