|A prison officer escorts detainees to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Photo: Khmertimeskh //CVN|
Cambodia’s Justice Ministry Secretary of State Kim Santepheap said the deal would benefit both countries, allowing some of those on trial to be repatriated to their countries to serve their sentences.
The extradition agreement allows a citizen indicted in a foreign country but signatory to an extradition agreement to be repatriated, under the terms set out in the agreement, to their country for trial. The extradition agreement is to be distinguished from the transfer agreement, which allows a person already tried in the foreign country to be repatriated to his country to serve his sentence.
Vietnamese Ambassador to Cambodia Vu Quang Minh said the transfer agreement between the two countries reflects mutual trust and close cooperation between the executive bodies of the two countries.
The diplomat hoped that the two countries will continue their efforts to fight transnational crime, including human trafficking, drug abuse and smuggling, and reduce crime in both countries.
During his visit to Hanoi in December 2016 Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyên Xuân Phuc attended the signing of three cooperation agreements, including the Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters and the Agreement on Transfer of convicted persons.
Last May, as part of a humanitarian activity, through the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Cambodia, representatives of the Vietnamese embassy in Phnom Penh donated 4000 protective masks to prisons in Cambodia. The donation followed a call by the ICRC Head of Mission in Cambodia to country embassies and international organizations to mobilize medical supplies for detainees in Cambodia amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Vietnam-Cambodia treaty on transfer of sentenced persons to take effect
- Germany suspends extradition treaty with Hong Kong, China
- UK suspends Hong Kong extradition treaty
- The Agreement of Avoidance of Double Taxation between Vietnam and Cambodia is valid
- India seeks extradition of Mumbai attacks’ suspected mastermind
- Implementation plan of Vietnam-US Customs Mutual Assistance Agreement approved
- France halts ratification of extradition treaty with Hong Kong
- Protocol amending ASEAN-Japan trade agreement becomes effective
- Gov’t approves plan to implement VN-U.S. customs mutual assistance agreement