Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung addresses a press conference on Vietnam’s hosting of AMM-53. (Photo: Anh Huyen/VOV5)
The meetings will be held online between Wednesday and Saturday, involving 27 delegations from ASEAN members and partners. Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc will deliver his keynote speech at the opening ceremony.
Deputy Foreign Minister Nguyen Quoc Dung told reporters on Monday that Vietnam, as ASEAN Chair in 2020 will promote this year’s theme “Cohesive and Responsive” for its successful hosting of these events.
“AMM-53 and related meetings are the most important events taking place under the ASEAN Chairmanship in 2020 when the world is in turmoil from confrontations among world powers, mounting tensions in conflict hotspots, and the COVID-19 pandemic which have affected socio-economic activities in ASEAN countries,” Mr. Dung said.
“Despite these difficulties, Vietnam has strived to fulfill its role as ASEAN Chair with its initiatives and efforts to promote ASEAN cooperation in fighting the coronavirus, building the ASEAN community, improving relations with its partners, and reinforcing ASEAN centrality,” he added.
Foreign Ministers from the 10 ASEAN countries will discuss ways to enhance ASEAN cohesion and responsiveness, especially as this year’s priorities. They will reiterate the ASEAN central role in capitalizing motivations and handling challenges to regional security. The ministers will talk with ASEAN partners about COVID-19 response as well as regional and global issues.
AMM-53 will adopt a joint communique and 40 other documents, highlighting ASEAN’s persistence to build a community of more fruitful economic linkages and cooperation with its partners.
- 36th ASEAN summit underscores “cohesive and responsive” spirit
- Vietnam prepared for hosting 37th ASEAN Summit
- ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
- Joint Communiqué of AMM 53 acknowledges Vietnam’s initiatives, proposals in 2020
- 36th ASEAN Summit to be held online on June 26
- ASEAN to press on with set priorities despite COVID-19
- Thailand to highlight multilateral cooperation at AMM-53
- ASEAN officials discuss preparations for upcoming activities