The event affirms the role of youth in authoring initiatives related to climate change, environmental protection, and plastic waste management.
Michael Croft, Chief Representative of UNESCO in Vietnam, said today’s young people have a special role in the global dialogue on climate change and are making their voices heard in the most inspiring ways.
“With 10 years left to achieve the SDGs, it doesn’t matter what agency we’re talking about. Our leaders are asking us to prioritize youth empowerment and youth participation in everything we do, globally and in places like Vietnam. I’m not just talking about doing more youth projects. It goes beyond that. They’re looking to make United Nations a platform for youth participation, youth dialogue, and youth empowerment, recognizing that youth are the future and the change makers of today. We believe in them and we need them to believe in us as well, because we know that the energy, the creativity, the drive, and the passion of youth are what’s going to save the planet”, he said.
Nguyen Ngoc Luong, Secretary of the Youth Union and Vice Chairman of the National Committee on Youth of Vietnam, said, “Young people continue to promote and raise awareness of the Law on Environmental Protection and the harmful effects of plastic bags and other plastic waste on the marine environment, using modern communication channels such as social networks”.
On the occasion, UN agencies in Vietnam introduced the UN75 Initiative – a survey of people’s opinions on ways to build a sustainable future.
- Summer Youth Volunteer Campaign 2020 launched
- Newsletter on Youth Volunteer Campaign Summer 2021 launched
- Summer Youth Volunteer Campaign 2020 launched in Ho Chi Minh city
- Vietnamese youth thrilled by virtual K-pop show Dream Concert CONNECT
- Digital competition promotes youth engagement in national digital transformation
- Vietnam calls for all-level implementation of UNSC’s youth, peace, security resolutions
- First Vietnamese Youth Speaker At UN Disarmament Conference Advocates for Peace
- Online contest launched to help people learn about Vietnam Youth Federation
- Chàm Islands take action on plastic waste
- Military youth joins blood drive to fight pandemic