They called on all countries to exercise self-restraint in the conduct of activities that would complicate or escalate disputes and affect peace and stability, to refrain from the threat or use of force, and to resolve differences and disputes by peaceful means in accordance with international law.
They also called for the continued building of strategic trust and mutual confidence among countries through continued dialogue, win-win cooperation and practical confidence building measures to create a peaceful environment conducive for sustainable growth.
The foreign ministers encouraged the constructive engagement of ASEAN’s external partners, through ASEAN-led mechanisms while reaffirming their commitment to supporting multilateralism founded on the principles of the UN Charter and anchored in international law.
This is the first time the ASEAN foreign ministers have issued a statement on the regional peace and security to mark ASEAN’s 53rd founding anniversary, August 8.
- ASEAN FMs’ statement on maintaining peace and stability in Southeast Asia
- ASEAN Foreign Ministers release statement on regional peace, stability
- Cohesive, Responsive, Proactive and Responsible become brand of ASEAN, PM says
- VN highly values US’s support for ASEAN centrality
- AMM-53: Vietnam expresses concerns over serious incidents in Bien Dong Sea