All were immediately quarantined in Hoi An after arriving at Da Nang International Airport.
They arrived last week on repatriation flights from the US and South Korea, according to Quang Nam Province’s health department.
Today morning, the head of the health department said that, four days ago it sent 15 specimens of COVID-19 positive arrivals to Nha Trang Pasteur Institute for genomic sequencing, and late Thursday, the institute reported 14 out of 15 specimens were positive for the Omicron variant (B.1.1.529).
Related: Hanoi changed centralized quarantine policy for entrants from Omicron-hit countries
All are asymptomatic COVID-19 cases, 12 are staying in hotels and two are under observation at Phạm Ngọc Thạch Hospital (Tam Kỳ City, Quảng Nam).
Eight out of the infected were on flight VN99 from the US landing at Đa Nẵng airport on December 24, three on flight VN417 from South Korea the same day, two on VN417 from South Korea on December 23, and one on flight QH9451 from South Korea on December 21.
According to Quảng Nam’s contract tracers, VN99 flight had 177 passengers, with 172 currently being quarantined at Mulberry Hoi An, two in An Phu Company and two in Ciputra apartment building in Ha Noi’s Tay Hồ District, one in An Bình Company (HCM City), along with 16 crew-members isolating in HCM City.
Flight VN417 had 103 passengers currently under quarantine at Historic Hoi An Hotel and 13 crew-members in Ha Noi, while the flight on December 23 had 201 passengers under quarantine at Mường Thanh Hoi An Hotel along with 16 crew-members quarantined in Ha Noi.
Flight QH9451 carried 216 passengers – one in Mulberry Collection Silk Mariana and 214 in Tui Blue hotels in Hoi An, one in HCM City – along with 13 crew-members quarantined in Ha Noi.
The passengers on this flight have completed their quarantine and have gone to their intended destinations, while passengers on the three other flights completed quarantine late Thursday or early Friday.
Earlier this week, Vietnam recorded its first Omicron case in a man arriving from the UK, also quarantined on arrival.
Also read: Vietnam confirms first case of Omicron variant of coronavirus
The man is reportedly an asymptomatic COVID-19 case, in stable health condition, and has little risk of severe disease.
By Vietnam News Agency. This article was first posted here.
- Breaking: Vietnam confirms first cases of Omicron variant of coronavirus
- Hanoi changed centralized quarantine policy for entrants from Omicron-hit countries
- Travelers required to quarantine upon arriving from Omicron-hit countries in Vietnam’s two biggest cities
- First patient with Omicron in Vietnam recovered and discharged from hospital
- Indonesia reports first case of Omicron variant
- Three COVID-19 cases on flight from Vietnam to Hong Kong (China) infected by Delta variant, not Omicron
- Christmas party turned into an Omicron “super spreader event,” with up to 60 possible infections
- Breaking: Omicron variant has spread to Southeast Asia
- Flights to Hong Kong from Ho Chi Minh City banned for two weeks as new Omicron case detected
- New coronavirus variant found in Vietnam