Phu Quoc Island off the coast of Kien Giang Province in southern Vietnam could be approved to welcome a Vietjet Air flight carrying 250 Korean visitors to the island on November 20, according to local authorities.
Vietnamese budget airline Vietjet Air has submitted a proposal to the Kien Giang Provincial People's Committee and the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism to welcome the first foreign tourists since the launch of a vaccine passport program.
The South Korean visitors will stay at Vinpearl Resort and Spa Phu Quoc.
If approved by local authorities and the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism, the flight will depart from South Korea's Incheon Airport and arrive at Phu Quoc Airport at 12:00 am on November 20 before returning to South Korea three days later.
Visitors will be required to install the IGOVN app, which was developed by Vietnam’s Ministry of Public Security, and Vietnam's national COVID-19 prevention and control application PC-COVID on their phones and use them throughout their stay in Phu Quoc.
Among the tourism attractions scheduled to welcome the tourists are VinWonder, Safari, and GrandWorld.
According to Pham Van Nghiep, deputy chairman of the People’s Committee of Phu Quoc, the locality has developed a variety of procedures to ensure safety in preparation for the return of visitors.
Phu Quoc, previously a district of Kien Giang, was turned into the country’s first island municipality on March 1 this year, pursuant to a resolution issued by the National Assembly’s Standing Committee in late 2020.
Over the past years, tourism has become a key economic contributor to Phu Quoc, with the overall increase in annual arrivals to the island city at 28 percent. For international arrivals only, the growth rate is over 45 percent per year, according to local leaders.
The island is accelerating its COVID-19 immunization campaign for residents aged 18 and hopes to have met its targets by November 20, when the new tourism plan is set to come into effect.
Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!
Tuoi Tre News
- Vietnam’s Kien Giang Province, home to Phu Quoc Island, to welcome domestic visitors on trial basis next month
- Why Vietnam’s Phu Quoc Island sees boom in tourism
- It’s official: Vietnam opens the country to foreign tourists from November 20
- Local tourists flock to Phu Quoc, air carriers offer more flights
- Phu Quoc island city ready for new opportunities
- PM agrees on pilot plan to welcome foreign tourists to Phu Quoc island
- Night market in Phu Quoc island district
- Kien Giang proposes suspending passenger flights between HCMC and Phu Quoc
- Phu Quoc officially becomes Vietnam’s first island city