HCM CITY — People living in locked-down and quarantined zones, and patients staying at COVID-19 treatment hospitals in HCM City, have received free books as part of the programme “Sach trao tay - Học ngay giãn cach” (Books for Learning during Social Distancing Days).
The programme was launched by the city Department of Information and Communications, the southern representative agency of the Viet Nam Publishers’ Association (VNPA), the Hồ Chí Minh Communist Youth Union of HCM City, and the Book Street Company.
Le Hoang, VNPA’s vice chairman, said: "We hope people can be entertained and learn from the knowledge in the books during social distancing days.”
“Books are necessary for people’s cultural life.”
Hoang said the programme had received huge support from local publishing houses and book distributors.
The programme has given away tens of thousands of copies of 2,500 book titles since mid-July. They include comics and colouring books for children, novels, and medical, skill and reference books for teenagers and adults.
The programme has also provided a library of more than 2,000 titles of audiobooks and e-books for free downloading via applications Voiz FM and Waka.
Nguyễn Kim Oanh of Bình Thạnh District said she was surprised and happy when receiving books from the programme.
"I’m a book lover, so these books are precious to me. With them, I can help my children create reading habit during social distancing days."
Hoang said: "Our programme has received a warm welcome from the community, so we are trying our best to bring more books to the city’s readers.”
“We hope this will entertain people at home and spread the reading culture, as well as create a reading habit among the community, particularly the younger generation,” Hoang added. — VNS
- Books distributed to residents in Ho Chi Minh City quarantine facilities
- Free audio books entertain readers during social distancing
- New books on Vietnamese young heroes released
- Book project helps to promote Vietnamese culture
- Children's books aim to stimulate young readers
- Lazada asked to remove stores selling fake books
- Free library with English books in Hanoi spreads reading habit
- Saigon bookseller fuels thirst for books
- Famous writer’s teen tales reprinted this summer