Blood donors are allowed to go outside during the ongoing social distancing period in Ho Chi Minh City, as blood donation remains an important activity amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to vice-chairman of the municipal People’s Committee Duong Anh Duc, humanitarian blood donation must always be carried out.
“The sick really need blood, especially the rarer types, during this difficult time,” the official stated.
Vice-chairman Duc, along with leaders of some departments and 80 volunteers with type-O blood, participated in a blood donation campaign on August 4.
On the Facebook pages of voluntary blood donation groups in Ho Chi Minh City, people have been posting a lot of updates on their urgent need for blood to save their loved ones.
The southern city currently follows strict social distancing measures under the prime minister’s Directive No. 16, which requires all residents to stay home unless they have an appropriate reason.
Blood donation is an acceptable reason, but donors need to present certain documents to on-duty officers at local COVID-19 checkpoints.
Dr. Phu Chi Dung, director of the Ho Chi Minh City Blood Transfusion Hematology Hospital, stated that residents will receive a text message after signing up for blood donation at the infirmary.
The message, which states a specific appointment, can be presented to law enforcement officers upon their request.
After the donation process is finished, donors are provided with a certificate, which they can present to officers on their way home, Dr. Dung elaborated.What do you want to know about Vietnam? Ask us at VietQ by Vietnam Life.
Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!
Tuoi Tre News
- Over 180 outstanding blood family, individual donors honored in Hanoi
- Blood donation campaign launched in Ho Chi Minh City amidst shortages due to COVID-19
- People encouraged to give blood voluntarily
- HCMC Red Cross Society hopes to collect 220,000 blood bags for saving patients
- Red Journey campaign features a record number of participating localities
- Mekong Delta faces severe shortage of blood
- Red Sunday 2021: 80 donation collection points organised
- Military youth joins blood drive to fight pandemic
- HCMC Expats Donate Blood Amid Covid 19 Lockdown