- Visit Vietnam Insider’s homepage for more stories
Ambassador Giorgio Aliberti, head of the European Union Delegation to Viet Nam, told President Nguyễn Xuan Phuc on Tuesday he is willing to help Viet Nam access COVID-19 vaccine sources and vaccine technology from Europe.
The ambassador applauded Viet Nam’s efforts in the pandemic fight and expressed his hope the country will successfully complete its vaccine rollout.
During a reception for Aliberti, the President thanked the EU for its medical support through the COVAX Facility and Team Europe and called on the EU to help Viet Nam enhance its capacity for COVID-19 vaccination and production.
Phuc expressed his delight at the development of the partnership and ties between Viet Nam and the EU recently.
The EU has become a leading partner of Viet Nam in many regards, the President said, adding that the two sides have signed a number of agreements in politics, trade, investment, and national defence and security such as the EU-Viet Nam Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA), the EU-Viet Nam Free Trade Agreement, the Framework Participation Agreement (FPA) and the Voluntary Partnership Agreement on Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade.
The documents have created a foundation for the two sides to lift their relations to a new high, Phuc said.
Lauding Aliberti’s contributions to the Viet Nam-EU ties, Phuc suggested the ambassador continue to urge the European Parliament (EP) to soon complete procedures to ratify the EU-Viet Nam Investment Protection Agreement (EVIPA).
The ambassador, for his part, spoke highly of Viet Nam’s non-permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council for 2020-21.
He thanked Viet Nam for its support in upgrading the ASEAN-EU relationship to a strategic partnership and noted his wish that the two sides will continue their co-operation within the framework, for the sake of ASEAN countries and the EU.
While discussing regional and international issues of shared concern, Aliberti emphasised the significance of international law, notably the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (1982 UNCLOS) to regional peace, stability, co-operation and development.
The ambassador handed over a congratulatory letter of European Commission (EC) President Ursula von der Leyen to President Nguyễn Xuan Phuc.
Phuc asked the ambassador to convey his invitations to the EU’s high-ranking leaders to visit Viet Nam.
This article was originally published in vietnamnews
- EU Ambassador willing to help Vietnam access COVID-19 vaccine sources
- Vietnam seeks Covid-19 vaccines from Europe, U.S., Japan
- Top legislator asks for EU's support in accessing COVID-19 vaccines
- Vietnamese President sends letter to US counterpart
- Vietnam received second shipment of 1,682,400 COVID-19 vaccine doses from COVAX Facility
- Vietnam among 42 countries to manufacture COVID-19 vaccines
- Võ Thị Ánh Xuân elected Vice State President of Việt Nam
- Viet Nam to purchase 31 million Pfizer vaccine doses
- EU ambassador with love for Vietnamese cuisine