THỪA THIÊN-HUẾ - The Huế Traditional Craft Festival 2021 has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the central city's People’s Committee has announced.
The ninth edition of the festival is now scheduled for the latter half of July if the pandemic is brought under control, the committee said.
This biennial event is slated to last for a month this year, up from about a week in previous editions.
The festival initially planned to run from the end of May to June 26, aims to honour craft villages and artisans who have made great contributions to not only the Vietnamese traditional craft but also tourism, cultural and economic development.
It also aims to stimulate summer tours with many cultural and entertainment activities, attracting tourists to the ancient city of Huế.
The festival is expected to include more than 40 art performances and gather hundred of artists, actors, and artisans.
It will feature a wide range of activities, such as a craft design contest, the Huế Culinary Festival, a sculpting camp, an ao dai (Viet Nam’s traditional dress) week, and a book exhibition.
The last edition was held from April 26 to May 2, 2019, with the theme 'The Quintessence of Vietnamese Traditional Crafts' and introduced a wide range of traditional craft products including embroidery, jewellery, wooden crafts, copper items, pottery, nón la (conical leaf hat), calligraphy, kites, garment and textiles, lotus tea, and bamboo and rattan products.
The event was attended by about 350 artisans and artists from more than 60 craft villages of Thừa Thien-Huế Province and other localities. It also attracted international delegations and representatives of many foreign cities and organisations from countries such as Japan, South Korea, China, Brazil, and Turkey. VNS
- Ethnic minority festival postponed for second time
- Host of activities await visitors at Hue Festival 2020
- A number of cultural activities in Hanoi will be postponed
- Central Highlands ethnic cultural festival to be held in May
- Kon Tum to host cultural festival for ethnic groups next month
- 16th HCM City Tourism Festival slated for mid-July
- Hue Festival delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19
- Hue Festival 2020 to open in August
- Keo Pagoda Autumn Festival opens in Thai Binh