After successfully containing the coronavirus for most of last year, Vietnam is battling a new outbreak that is spreading more quickly.
The country has so far received 2.61 million COVID-19 vaccine doses, mostly through the COVAX-sharing facility.
Visit Vietnam Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Vietnam plans to set up a 25.2 trillion dong ($1.1 billion) fund to acquire 150 million COVID-19 vaccine doses for its population, the Ministry of Finance said in a statement on Thursday.
The ministry had submitted the plan to the government for approval, it said, adding that the fund will use money mainly from the state budget.
After successfully containing the coronavirus for most of last year, Vietnam is battling a new outbreak that is spreading more quickly, infecting 1,677 people since late April, including hundreds of factory workers in northern provinces.
Bac Giang province, an epicentre of the outbreak, this week temporarily shut down four industrial parks, including three that house production facilities of Taiwan’s Foxconn (2317.TW), due to the outbreak.
Overall, Vietnam has reported 4,720 infections since the pandemic began, with 37 deaths.
The finance ministry said the doses acquired through the fund would be used to vaccinate 75 million people, out of Vietnam’s population of 98 million.
It said the cost of buying vaccines alone would be 21 trillion dong, while the rest of the fund would be for transporting, storing and injecting doses.
Vietnam has inoculated around one million people since it launched its vaccination campaign in March. The country has so far received 2.61 million COVID-19 vaccine doses, mostly through the COVAX-sharing facility.
On Tuesday, the government said it was about to sign a contract to buy 31 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer (PFE.N) in 2021.
($1 = 23,045 dong)
By Khanh Vu @ Reuters
- Health Ministry proposes not buying additional 30 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine
- Vietnam just received another 811,200 COVID-19 vaccine doses, how to get vaccinated?
- Vietnam will get 31 Million Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine doses this year
- Vietnam received second shipment of 1,682,400 COVID-19 vaccine doses from COVAX Facility
- Vietnam receives 1st shipment of 811,200 coronavirus vaccine doses supported by COVAX Facility
- Health Ministry to receive over VND1.2 trillion to buy Covid-19 vaccines
- Vietnam to receive over 5.6 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines in two months
- Over 800,000 Covid-19 vaccine doses provided by Covax arrive in Vietnam
- Over 1.68 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine set to arrive in Vietnam