St Joseph's Cathedral in downtown Ha Noi is one of the earliest Catholic buildings in the capital city, a miniature of the Paris Notre Dame Cathedral. The cathedral is now being renovated.
These days, passers-by may be a little surprised at the appearance of the building. But it’s just temporary. The scaffolding will soon be removed in a few months when the cathedral gets a new lick of paint.
The Catholic Cathedral of Ha Noi was built in the late 19th century, in European Gothic style. The exterior walls of the church are made of granite stone slabs, with the two bell towers standing 31.5m in height.
The renovation will keep all ancient details of the architecture. St Joseph's Cathedral in downtown Ha Noi is one of the earliest Catholic buildings in the city. VNS Photo Trương Vị
In the middle of the front entrance, a cross stands high, while a big round clock was installed underneath.
In general, the architecture is not too complicated with the combination of European Gothic style and local architecture.
The bell towers contain five bells with one big bell and four smaller ones, which connect with the clock to ring on the hour.
A metal statue of Mother Maria stands in front of the cathedral.
The clock has been working for over 100 years. VNS Photo Trương Vị
The cathedral was built on the foundations of an old pagoda between 1884 and 1886.
The cathedral was inaugurated at Christmas of 1887.
Workers at the site. VNS Photo Trương Vị
The cathedral has remained a centre of Catholic activities in the capital and its vicinity.
The inner walls of the cathedral have just been newly painted in grey. VNS
The cathedral has been a magnet to both locals and tourists in the capital. VNS Photo Trương Vị
- Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral among world’s most beautiful: US news site
- Churches across Vietnam get decked out for Xmas
- A beautiful 135 year old Bui Chu Cathedral in Nam Dinh
- Visiting old pink Catholic Church in Da Lat
- The beauty of Hanoi through the len of an expat in Vietnam
- 135-year-old cathedral finally goes down, to get like-for-like replacement
- Explore the unique architecture of Thai Binh Cathedral
- Hundred year old churches loved as stunning check in sites in HCMC
- Learn about Mang Lang Church of Phu Yen
- Saigoneses take their children to church to feed pigeons