The tender chicken meat, soft lotus seat, and shiitake mushroom get the lotus leaves' fragrance. The dish can be served with regular rice or sticky rice.
Photo: VN Express
Chicken steamed in lotus leaves is a popular dish in Asian countries. In other countries, this dish is often made with many different spices and wrapped in dry lotus leaves, whose fragrant outstand the chicken's aroma. However, chicken steamed in Vietnamese style is more simple, which keeps the natural sweetness of the meat.
The tender and juicy meat, rich seasoning, together with the nutty taste of lotus seeds and shiitake mushrooms, the aroma from lotus leaves and petals create a sweet harmony.
Total cooking time: 1 hour and 10 minutes, excluding marinating time (preparation process: 15 minutes, streaming process: 55 minutes)
Serving: 4-5 people
Total calories: 33878 kcal
Photo: Mon An Viet Ngon
- A1,4-1,5 kg hen
- 2 well-chopped purple onions
- 2 well-chopped lemongrass tubers
- 3 tablespoons of oyster oil
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable seasoning
- 1 turmeric (or some turmeric powder)
- 1 cup of fresh lotus seeds
- 1 cup of shiitakes, soaked and well-washed
- 2-3 crushed lemongrass roots
- 2-3 purple onions
- 1 ginger root
- Side vegetables: green onions, basil, coriander
- Side nuts (optional): adlay, goji,...
- 2-3 lotus leaves, neither too old nor too young
- Bamboo string
- Lotus flowers
- Clean the chicken clean, rub it with salt and lemon to deodorize, then rinse the chicken with clean water. Leave it aside to dry. You can either leave the whole chicken or cut it into smaller pieces.
- Washed side vegetables.
- Mix the chopped purple onion, minced lemongrass, oyster oil, salt, pepper, seasoning, a little turmeric in a big bowl.
- Rub this mixture all over the chicken, including the inside of the chicken.
- Stuffed the chicken with fresh lotus seeds, shiitakes, crushed lemongrass, onions, ginger, and herbs (coriander, coriander, scallions, basil ...).
- Put bamboo strings under a large bowl, then spread the lotus leaves out, put the chicken in, wrap it tightly, tie the string up. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes to absorb the seasoning. If you want a richer lotus fragrance, add lotus flowers when marinating the chicken.
c) Steam the chicken: Put the chicken wrapped in lotus leaf in a big steamer for 50-55 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken.
d) Decorate the date:
- When the chicken is well-cooked, take it out, cut off the bamboo strings, open the lotus leaves, and place the chicken on top of the leaves. Decorate the dish with lotus flowers.
- This dish tastes best when it's still hot. The dish can be served with sticky rice or regular rice.
Photo: VN Express
- The chicken should be carefully sealed to keep the chicken, lotus, and herbs' naturally fragrant.
- If you cut the chicken into smaller pieces before steaming, it will take less time, only about 25-30 minutes. However, if you steam the whole un-chopped chicken, the meat will be more sweet and fragrant.
- How Hanoi’s lotus-scented tea is made
- Must-try northwestern region dishes
- Perilla chicken salad – a delicious Tet dish of the Dao Tien
- The pho gà, the chicken noodle soup
- Vietnamese artist makes painting out of lotus leaves
- Phu Yen-style chicken rice
- Hue’s steamed rice rolls tantalize the taste buds
- Xoi Ngu Sac (five-coloured steamed glutinous rice)