HCM CITY — A series of cultural activities celebrating Áo Dai Week 2021 will be organised this weekend in HCM City to celebrate International Women's Day (March 8).
A special exhibition of two collections of ao dai (Vietnamese traditional dress) by renowned designers will open at the Áo Dai Museum in Long Thuận Garden in District 9 on Sunday.
It includes ao dai owned by outstanding women working in politics, culture and arts, such as Dr Trjnh Thị Hoa, former director of the HCM City History Museum, and veteran soldier Đặng Hồng Nhựt, who have encouraged young women to study and develop their careers as well as live more independently.
The musuem displays ao dai owned by Nguyễn Thị Định, the first woman major general to serve in the Viet Nam People's Army, former vice State president Nguyễn Thị Bình, and HCM City's well-known cải lương (reformed opera) artists, including Kim Cương and Bạch Tuyết.
A photo exhibition featuring Vietnamese women in ao dai will also be organised. Vietnamese culture and lifestyles are also captured through the lenses of artists.
The two exhibitions will open at 206/19/30 Long Thuận Street and will close at the end of the month.
The museum’s owner, fashion designer Sĩ Hoang, said Áo Dai Week 2021 promotes traditional cultural identity and the image of Vietnamese women.
Hoang spent 12 years to establish the museum thanks to his love for the traditional attire. “The long robes have aesthetic, historic and cultural value,” he said.
The Viet Nam Women's Union, organiser of Áo Dai Week 2021, encourages women to wear ao dai during March to show the charm and elegant beauty of the dress.
In Ha Noi, the union and Museum of Vietnamese Women have worked together to open a photo exhibition of 358 images featuring Vietnamese women, their place and contributions to the country.
Highlighted works portray women and their heroic activities in the anti-French and American wars. The photos were captured by veteran artist Đinh Quang Thanh, who worked for the Vietnam News Agency. — VNS
- Áo Dài exhibition marks International Museum Day
- Traditional Japanese doll exhibition opens in HCM City
- Female designer’s fashion exhibition to open in HCM City
- HCM City's museums launch online exhibitions
- French Institute holds exhibition to celebrate Vietnamese women
- Exhibition celebrates Fine Arts Day
- Seminar seeks to promote values of Vietnamese ao dai
- Traditional Japanese dolls exhibited at HCMC’s museum
- The COVID-19 exhibition will open next week in Da Nang
- Hải Phòng exhibition features traditional folk paintings