“Egg coffee” is an iconic street drink in Vietnam. It sounds quite odd to many people but when having a chance to try a cup of “egg coffee” you will be mesmerized immediately by its flavor.
The origin of egg coffee
“Egg coffee” was first made and introduced by Mr. Nguyen Van Giang- a bartender at the renowned 5-star Sofitel Legend Metropole Hotel. Due to the shortage of milk during the French war, Mr. Giang made up of using york egg to replace milk- an essential ingredient to make cappuccino. Beyond his expectation, a new creative mixture attracted both Vietnamese and foreigners in the hotel at that time. Recognizing that people had a great impression on his new recipe drink, Mr. Giang decided it was high time to throw in the towel at the Metropole Hotel and started his own business with his own brand name shop“Giảng cafe”. Today, “Giang coffee” is managed by Mr.Giang’s son, Nguyen Van Do in Hanoi’s Old Quarter.
Here are steps to make a cup of Vietnamese egg coffee (recipe by Analida’s Ethnic spoon)
Raw materials need to be prepared
15gm of coffee powder.
700ml of boiling water.
2 egg yolks.
About 45ml of condensed milk (may vary depending on taste).
1. Gather all your ingredients and brew 12 ounces of strong espresso style coffee. This is enough for 2 servings.
2. Add the egg yolk and sweetened condensed milk to a pitcher and whip with a hand blender.
3. Continue whipping until you have soft peaks and the volume will more than double.
4. Add the espresso to the 2 cups of coffee and then spoon on the whipped egg mixture over the top. Enjoy!
Where to get the original and “authentic” taste of Vietnamese egg coffee
To get a chance to enjoy the “authentic” flavor of egg coffee, you should head to the following address:
– Giảng cafe – 39 Nguyễn Hữu Huan street
– Đinh cafe – 13 Đinh Tien Hoang
– Giảng cafe Yen Phụ -106 Yen Phụ street
– Helio cafe- 57B Đinh Tien Hoang street