Vietnam’s Health Ministry confirmed two community cases of Covid-19 in northern provinces of Hai Duong and Quang Ninh on Thursday morning, after the country went through 55 clean days.
“Patient 1552” is a 34-year-old woman working for Vietnam Poyun Electronics Co., Ltd. in Hai Duong Town of the eponymous province.
She lives in Hung Dao Commune of the province’s Chi Linh Town and had come into close contact with another female worker in town who had been confirmed positive when arriving in Japan last week.
It’s not clear how this woman, who left Vietnam for Japan on January 17, has been infected with the virus. Hai Duong health authorities have launched investigation to track down all people that have contacted her.
“Patient 1553” is a 31-year-old staff at the Van Don International Airport in Quang Ninh and lives in Hong Ha Ward of the province’s Ha Long Town.
The airport has served many repatriation flights amid the pandemic and many arrivals were later confirmed as Covid-19 patients.
Recently, he has experienced fever, a sore throat along with cough so he went to a local hospital for a health check. He was confirmed positive with the novel coronavirus once on Wednesday night and the second test arrived as positive early Thursday.
Both patients are now treated at the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases in Hanoi.
With them, Vietnam has ended a streak of 55 straight days with no community transmissions.
The nation now has recorded 1,553 cases, including 85 active patients.
Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long told an urgent meeting late Wednesday night that testing experts in Hanoi will be sent to Hai Duong to conduct mass testing in the area where “patient 1552” lives.
Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam guided that the Lunar New Year, the biggest holiday of Vietnamese people, is coming close and Hai Duong has to make all efforts to locate the infected areas within 10 days to put down the outbreak as soon as possible.
This article was originally published in Vnexpress
- VN reports eight new imported cases of COVID-19
- Woman confirmed as Covid-19 patient after returning from France
- Recovered Covid-19 patient retests positive before being confirmed negative
- Two more imported Covid-19 patients confirmed on Monday
- Vietnamese woman tests positive for nCoV on arrival in Japan
- Man confirmed as Covid-19 patient after returning from Japan
- Two US returnees test positive for COVID-19
- Vietnamese worker tests positive for Covid-19 upon arrival in Japan
- Lockdown put on Hai Duong City after three Covid-19 cases reported
- One new imported Covid-19 patient confirmed on Saturday morning