|The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and ADB sign the agreement on November 24 – PHOTO: VGP|
HCMC – The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have reached an agreement over an emergency grant worth US$2.5 million for natural disaster recovery in central Vietnam to assist the central provinces in recovering from the recent floods and typhoons.
The agreement was signed by Vietnamese Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Nguyen Xuan Cuong and ADB country director Andrew Jefferies yesterday afternoon, November 24, the Government’s news site reported.
The aid, which is sourced from the Asia Pacific Disaster Response Fund, aims to ensure that the affected people have access to basic medical and social services and resources to rebuild their lives and livelihoods.
According to Cuong, from September until mid-November, the central region was deeply affected by typhoons, floods and landslides. More than 230 people were killed or went missing, while the economic loss was estimated at VND30 trillion.
“The Vietnamese Government has provided 16,000 tons of rice and necessities to the people affected by typhoons and floods. We highly appreciate the ADB and other international organizations for donating more than US$21 million in urgent aid for Vietnam,” Cuong said at the event.
He noted that the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development will work closely with the local authorities to quickly deliver the relief aid to the residents.
The ministry and ADB are also considering an additional emergency grant in March next year to repair the infrastructure damaged by natural disasters and assist in the socioeconomic recovery of the most affected central provinces.
- Vietnam, ADB sign agreement for $2.5 mln natural disaster relief aid
- ADB approves USD 2.5 million grant to support Vietnam’s disaster response
- ADB approves US$2.5 million grant to support Vietnam’s disaster response
- 14 houses in Tra Leng swept away due to river erosion
- Vietnam and the World Bank sign an agreement to purchase
- Launch of a fundraising movement to support disaster victims at the Center
- Natural disasters cause nearly 360 deaths and missing in 2020
- Vietnam, WB Sign Deal to Cut Carbon Emissions and Reduce Deforestation
- Agricultural production resumes after storms