HCM CITY — At a press conference on Monday to announce the filming of action movie Thanh Sói produced by Studio68, the director and producer Ngo Thanh Van said that Đồng Ánh Quỳnh will play the role of the main villain.
Quỳnh competed with more than 300 other candidates for the role.
Over the past year, Quỳnh has undergone extremely difficult training, from acting to martial arts, to prepare for this role.
She will act in the first Vietnamese movie ever about a female villain.
Accompanying Quỳnh as Thanh Sói in the movie are young actors such as Tóc Tien, Rima Thanh Vy, Song Luan, and Thuận Nguyễn.
“After almost two years since the blockbuster Hai Phượng (Furie) was released and received unexpected success, we immediately came up with the idea for the villain Thanh Sói in the movie, a character that received great support from the audiences,” Van said at the press conference.
The movie, Thanh Sói, features the gangster when she was a child and teenager. Her tragic life, before entering the gang, is also included.
Van revealed that the movie Thanh Sói has twice the budget of Hai Phượng, which reflects the effort that she has made for the project.
After Hai Phượng‘s success, Vietnamese audiences began to have more faith in the action movie genre “made in Viet Nam”, especially when they are produced and directed by Ngo Thanh Van.
Thanh Sói will be produced and directed by Ngo Thanh Van and Aaron Toronto, in collaboration with Hollywood action experts like Yannick Michel and Samuel Kefi Abrikh.
Filming begins this month and the movie is scheduled to be released later next year.
- ASEAN Film Week 2020 open in main cities
- Two Vietnam film directors get grants from South Korea festival
- Director reveals creepy theme for new film
- Veteran theatre artists nominated for 2020 Mai Vàng Awards
- Vietnamese directors take awards at Busan film festival
- World-renowned actors set to feature in remake of Vietnamese action comedy: media
- New TV programme on Vietnamese theatre airs
- ‘Blood Moon Party’ breaks Vietnam box office record
- South Korean actress Ha Ji Won reveals the secret to her never-changing looks