Vietnam has confirmed 15 more people infected with the novel coronavirus, all located in the central province of Quang Nam and neighboring Danang city where the first locally-transmitted case was detected five days ago.
The seven latest infections are linked to hospitals in Danang. Photo: VnExpress
The newest cases drive the tally in Vietnam to 446 as of July 29 morning. The number of convalescents reached 369, accounting for 82.73% of the total Covid-19 patients in Vietnam.
Since the first case of community transmission in more than months was detected on July 24, Vietnam has reported an additional 30 infections, including four health workers.
Most of the cases are linked to three hospitals in Danang namely Danang Hospital, Danang C Hospital, and Danang Orthopedic and Physical Rehabilitation Hospital.
So far, the sources of the first community transmission in Danang remain unknown. It is believed illegal immigrants brought the virus into Vietnam.
The return of Covid-19 in the community leaves Vietnam on high alert. From July 28, the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam under the Ministry of Transport has stopped all flights to and from Danang dor 15 days.
From July 28, downtown Danang has been put under lockdown, including three hospitals.
An estimated 80,000 inbound tourists have left Danang, one of the well-known tourist destinations in the country, over the past few days.
- July 31: Vietnam reports 45 coronavirus cases, highest ever daily caseload
- August 8: Coronavirus infections in Vietnam exceed 800
- Danang hospitals under lockdown due to Covid-19
- August 8: Vietnam’s Covid-19 tally hits 789, more cases linked to Danang
- Danang sets up field hospitals as local coronavirus infections surge
- August 4: Vietnam’s coronavirus infections rise to 652
- July 30: Vietnam confirms five more Covid-19 patients, 464 in total
- Number of Covid-19 infections continues rising in Vietnam, Hanoi reports third case
- Aug 5: Vietnam records two more Covid-19 cases, tally hits 672