The number of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 in Vietnam reached 789 as of Saturday morning with a large number of new cases linked to Danang.
Danang remains the largest affected area with 234 cases so far, of which 220 are active. The first locally-infected coronavirus case was confirmed in this beach city on July 25 and since then eight Danang residents have died of the virus, all having chronic diseases.
Its neighboring province, Quang Nam, home to famous tourist attraction Hoi An, is the second most hit locality with 65 under treatment. Ho Chi Minh City has recorded 8 local infections, and Hanoi 5.
With the new infections over the past two weeks who are all returnees from Danang, Hanoi has raised the level warning to “very high risk”.
As of August 8, the local infections have appeared in 13 cities and provinces namely Danang, Quang Nam, Quang Ngai, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Dak Lak, Lang Son, Bac Giang, Thai Binh, Ha Nam, Hai Duong, Thanh Hoa, and Dong Nai.
Vietnam’s coronavirus infections and caseload since the community transmission returned. Source: MOH. Chart: Linh Pham
So far, 10 people died of Covid-19 since the pandemic appreared in Vietnam late in January. All dead victims are old people with pre-existing diseases.
Over the last 10 days, each day the country witnessed an addition of at least 10 cases.
Given the rising daily infections and risk of transmission, Acting Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long said his ministry will try it best to support the task force comprised of leading health professionals sent to Danang, the hotspot of coronavirus outbreak.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc said at a meeting on August 7 that the battle against the novel coronavirus in Vietnam has entered a new intense phase, and demanded authoritized agencies and localities to spare no efforts for the battle. He requested sufficient medical supplies and resources.
- Vietnam confirms new 15 local Covid-19 infections in 2 days
- August 13: Vietnam reports 25 new coronavirus cases, tally hits 905
- August 18: Vietnam’s coronavirus caseload approaches 1,000
- August 8: Coronavirus infections in Vietnam exceed 800
- July 31: Vietnam’s daily coronavirus infections hit record high
- August 4: Vietnam’s coronavirus infections rise to 652
- Aug 5: Vietnam records two more Covid-19 cases, tally hits 672
- Number of Covid-19 infections continues rising in Vietnam, Hanoi reports third case
- August 6: Vietnam reports 4 new Covid-19 cases, count hits 717
- August 11: Vietnam confirms 16 more Covid-19 cases