Bringing Hong Kong Young Designers to the Global Stage with Immersive Work or Study Experiences Abroad
HONG KONG SAR - Media OutReach - 20 April 2021 - In this volatile era where opportunities come with challenges, design talent with global perspectives and innovative thinking are highly desired around the world. The DFA Hong Kong Young Design Talent Award (DFA HKYDTA) supports Hong Kong's young designers to gain immersive experiences and unleash their potentials by providing them with overseas work or study opportunities. The Award is now open for applications until 28 June 2021.
The DFA HKYDTA awardees may receive up to HK$500,000 sponsorship to pursue 6 to 12-month work at renowned design companies or 6 to 18-month study at reputable institutes abroad. Since 2005, over 110 designers have gained rewarding overseas learning experiences through the programme.
Prof. Eric Yim, Chairman of Hong Kong Design Centre (HKDC) , said, "During these challenging times, designers with a creative and adaptable mindset play a crucial role as they help organisations come up with future-oriented solutions to create a better future for all. By offering global learning opportunities through the DFA HKYDTA, we hope to equip Hong Kong's young designers with advanced skills and a global perspective for them to contribute to the local creative industries and open up new opportunities in the new normal."
DFA HKYDTA is organised by Hong Kong Design Centre, supported by Create Hong Kong of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region ("CreateHK") as lead sponsor, and Hong Kong Design Institute and the School of Design of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as sponsors.
Online Application Details
Application period: 20 April 2021 (9am) - 28 June 2021 (5pm) (Hong Kong time)
Online application website: ydta.dfaawards.com
Hong Kong permanent residents aged 18 to 35, who are either design practitioners with relevant working experiences; design graduates with Higher Diplomas, Associate Degrees or Bachelor Degrees from local educational institutions; or design graduates with Master Degrees from local or overseas educational institutions in 2021. Eligible design practitioner or design graduate needs to be nominated by a design-related organisation or professional to apply.
A judging panel comprising locally and internationally recognised professional designers and experts will assess the candidates based on latter's (1) potential contributions to the design and innovation development in Hong Kong; (2) personal aspirations, talents and achievements in specific fields with potential continuous development; (3) effectiveness of communication and presentation skills; (4) portfolio of design works and (5) overseas work / study proposal.
The DFA HKYDTA 2020
The DFA HKYDTA 2020 granted awards to a total of 16 young designers including 8 design practitioners and 8 design graduates. Among them, 13 awardees receive sponsorship totalling up to HK$500,000 for their overseas work or study.
Photos are available at:
Visit our website and social media pages for more information:
- Hong Kong Design Centre Supports the Injection of An Additional $1 Billion into CreateSmart Initiative to Promote the Creative Industries in 2021-22 Budget Address
- Industrial Designers Society of Hong Kong Recruit Local Talents for "ReMix · Yesterday’s Future, Invent Tomorrow!"
- Meet the 20 top-funded startups and tech companies in Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Productivity Council and CUHK Join Forces to Nurture Next Generation InnoTalent with On-the-Job Research Opportunities to Strengthen Local Talent Pool
- Qualtrics’ Employee Experience Trends reveals change management key to employee engagement in Hong Kong in 2021
- DFA Design for Asia Awards 2021 Opening for Global Submissions from 15 March
- US Senate passes bill to punish China over Hong Kong
- Vietnam concerned over unstable situation in Hong Kong
- Design Spectrum of Hong Kong Design Centre Presents PLAY LIVES Exhibition