On January 28, attackers stole more than $80 million from Binance Smart Chain-based Qubit Finance.
Qubit Finance announced this attack on its official Twitter.
Addresses connected with the attack indicate that 206,809 BNB were stolen from Qubit’s QBridge protocol. According to security firm PeckShield, the stolen assets are worth more than $80 million.
- Jan-27–2022 09:18:55 PM +UTC: 0.8887725 ETH sent from tornado to attacker account
- Jan-27–2022 09:34:01 PM +UTC~Jan-27–2022 09:50:41 PM +UTC: Sent 16 deposit tx to QBridge of Ethereum
- Jan-27–2022 09:36:32 PM +UTC~Jan-27–2022 09:51:02 PM +UTC: Sent 16 voteProposal tx to QBridge contract of BSC by Qubit Relayer
- A number of xETH tokens were minted by 16 voteProposal tx, and liquidity in Qubit was withdrawn using this as collateral
The attacker called the QBridge deposit function on the ethereum network, which calls the deposit function QBridgeHandler.
QBridgeHandler should receive the WETH token, which is the original tokenAddress, and if the person who performed the tx does not have a WETH token, the transfer should not occur.
tokenAddress.safeTransferFrom(depositer, address(this), amount);
In the code above, tokenAddress is 0, so safeTransferFrom didn’t fail and the deposit function ended normally regardless of the amount value.
Additionally, tokenAddress was the WETH address before depositETH was added, but as depositETH is added, it is replaced with the zero address that is the tokenAddress of ETH.
In summary, the deposit function was a function that should not be used after depositETH was newly developed, but it remained in the contract.
- The team is continuing to track the exploiter and monitor affected assets.
- The team has contacted the exploiter to offer the maximum bounty as set by our program.
- The team is cooperating with security and network partners, including Binance.
- Supply, Redeem, Borrow, Repay, Bridge, and Bridge redemption functions are disabled until further notice. Claiming is available.
DISCLAIMER: The Information on this website is provided as general market commentary and does not constitute investment advice. We encourage you to do your own research before investing.
Join CoinCu Telegram to keep track of news: https://t.me/coincunews
Follow CoinCu Youtube Channel | Follow CoinCu Facebook page
Qubit Finance Qubit Finance Qubit Finance
- Qubit Finance Hacked, Lost $80M, QBT Price Down More Than 20%
- How hackers stole $600 million in cryptocurrency, the largest theft in the industry’s history
- Top 6 most secure crypto-exchanges got hacked & exploited
- OpenSea suffered a front-end attack, 332 ETH flew away
- Millions of Vietnamese Facebook accounts stolen
- Binance Labs Announced Its Strategic Investment In Solv Protocol In 2022!
- How to avoid scam projects and carpet pulling in the crypto market?
- Big Daddy Ape Club $1.3M Scam, Although It Had Civic ‘Verification’
- Acala Revealed Some Core Products Which Will Release Following Its Official Launch On Polkadot In 2022