- Visit Vietnam Insider’s homepage for more stories
Foreign investors have poured 15.27 billion USD of investment in Vietnam so far this year, equivalent to 97.4 percent of the amount recorded in the same period last year, according to the Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI).
The ministry reported that as of June 20, 9.55 billion USD had been injected into 804 newly-licenced projects, up 13.2 percent year on year.
Meanwhile, 4.12 billion USD had been added into 460 underway projects, a year on year rise of 10.6 percent. Foreign investors also poured 1.61 billion USD in share purchase deals in Vietnam, according to the ministry.
Meanwhile, the disbursement of FDI in the period rose 6.8 percent year on year to 9.24 billion USD.
Among the 18 sectors attracting FDI, manufacturing-processing lured the highest amount at 6.98 billion USD, accounting for 45.7 percent of the total investment, followed by power production and distribution with 5.34 billion USD, making up nearly 35 percent of the total investment.
Singapore leads the 80 countries and territories investing in Vietnam with investment of 5.64 billion USD, followed by Japan with 2.44 billion USD, and the Republic of Korea with 2.05 billion USD.
As of June 20, the country had hosted 33,787 FDI projects worth 397.89 billion USD totally, of which 241.1 billion USD, or 60 percent, had been disbursed.
The export revenue of the foreign-invested sector has continued to rise at 32.2 percent to 116 billion USD (including crude oil), accounting for 74.1 percent of the country’s total export revenue. The sector’s revenue excluding crude oil reached 115.3 billion USD, up 32.6 percent year on year.
The sector imported 102.6 billion USD worth of goods in the period, up 38.7 percent year on year. As a result, in the first half of this year, it enjoyed a trade surplus of 13.4 billion USD including revenue from crude oil.
The MPI also reported a trade deficit of 14.9 billion USD by domestic businesses.
This article was originally published in Vietnamnet
- Vietnam attracts $14 billion in FDI
- FDI inflows drop 15.1 percent year on year in first half
- Vietnam lures USD 12 25 billion in FDI since beginning of 2021
- Foreign investment capital thrives in June
- Vietnam attracts US$15.67 billion in FDI in six months
- FDI commitments to Vietnam down 15% to US$15.67 billion in H1
- Foreign investment inflows in M&A plunge in first four months
- US$8.3 billion poured into Vietnam’s industrial parks and economic zones in 10 months
- FDI attraction of Vietnam reaches nearly US$30 billion in 2020