Figures show that the sector incurred losses of over VND12 trillion (US$517.5 million) in the first half of 2020 due to COVID-19.
Nguyen Thi Tuyet Mai, Deputy General Secretary of the Vietnam Textile and Apparel Association, said the sector has set an export target of US$40 billion in 2020.
The pandemic made that goal next to impossible, she said, and the association has now adjusted it to US$34 billion, but even this will be problematic.
Apparel export turnover for the year as a whole is expected to be about 20% less than in 2019, while enterprises will only operate at 70-75% of capacity to the end of the year.
- Garment-textile industry seeks diverse supplies of raw materials
- Garment and textile sector continues to face difficulties
- Greater export opportunities beckon for textile and apparel industry in second half
- Vietnam’s garment-textile export turnover hit 19 billion USD in H1
- Vietnam’s key industries target XL goals
- Vietnam textile industry falls short of US$42-billion export target
- Garment sector poised to grasp EVFTA opportunities for higher exports
- 22 commodities enjoy export turnover of over 1 billion USD in first half
- Garment and textile industry targets US$39 billion export turnover in 2021