The Vietnam Securities Depository said the figure includes 16 organizations. In the second quarter 200 new accounts had been opened per month.
The August number is still 8 percent down from the same month last year, but analysts were pleased with it after the turbulence in the stock markets this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The month also saw Vietnam’s benchmark VN-Index record the highest gain (10.43 percent) of all indexes globally. On Thursday the VN-Index climbed to a six-month peak of 903.97 points.
The total number of foreign investors as of the end of August was 34,807, including 4,720 organizations.
On the main bourse, the Ho Chi Minh City Stock Exchange (HoSE), foreign investors were net sellers during six of the first eight months this year with the cumulative outflows being worth over VND4 trillion ($173 million).
- Foreign investors rush back to Vietnam markets in August
- Number of new stock accounts in March hits record high
- VN-Index records the highest in one-month
- Gains narrow on VN-Index by session end
- Prices surge on stock market, VN Index reaches record high
- Over 100,000 new stock trading accounts opened in April
- Vietnam stocks post world‚Äôs highest gains in August
- Rosy signs for domestic securities market
- VN-Index surpasses 1,130 points
- VN-Index continues recovery, but foreign investors net sellers