Trade Negotiations Department Director-General Oramon Sapthaweetham said that, from January to June this year, Thailand exported vegetables worth US$143 million, a 9.7% decrease compared to the same period last year, according to VOV.
Countries with which Thailand has Free Trade Agreements (FTA) remain the largest markets, worth US$94 million, or 66% of the country’s total vegetable exports. Among the FTA members, Japan is the kingdom’s biggest buyer, making up 36%, while all ASEAN countries combined make up 22% of the total export volume.
Some of the popular products include fresh garlic which, during the first half of the year saw export volume grow 124%, compared to the same period last year, to US$13.8 million, while chilli also grew by 33% to US$8.3 million, along with frozen nuts, which remain popular as exports increased 0.5% to 37.6 million dollars. Meanwhile, demand for frozen sweet corn contracted by 17.7% to US$9.6 million.
At present, the kingdom has FTA agreements with 17 nations, 13 of which no longer levy import duties of Thai vegetables. The 13 countries include China, Hongkong, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Chile, Peru and 6 countries in ASEAN namely, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar and Brunei. Meanwhile, the five countries who are FTA partners, but still impose import duties, are South Korea, India, Cambodia, Laos and the Philippines, reported by Thailand Business News.
- Exports of fruits and vegetables to Thailand surge 230%
- Veggie, fruit exports fetch some US$1 billion in Jan-March
- Vietnam would remain world s second largest rice exporter US department of Agriculture
- Fruit, vegetable exports fetch 2.5 billion USD in nine months
- Fruit and vegetable exports down over 12 percent in first seven months
- Fruit and vegetable exports plummet over nine months
- Decrease in exports of fruit and vegetable to China, “jump” in Thailand
- Cambodia, Thailand trade hits 2,913 million USD in January-April
- Domestic businesses seek ways to export products to Thailand
- Thailand on track to achieve export target of 6 million tonnes of rice