The Vietnam Trade Office in the US assesses that with more than 300 residents and the growing demand for fresh fruit and vegetables, the US holds great potential for Vietnamese fruit exports. Six Vietnamese fresh fruits, including mango, longan, lychee, dragon fruit, rambutan and star apple, have been officially licensed for export to the US.
The first six fresh fruit exports to the US yield about US$20 million a year. Green-skinned pomelo, with a long shelf life, is expected to become a promising export.
Many localities in the Mekong Delta are potential growing areas for high-quality green-skinned pomelos
The market opening for Vietnamese pomelos was announced at a recent working session in the US between senior officials of the Vietnamese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and the US Department of Agriculture. The US side is collecting public comments and will announce results as soon as possible.
Many localities in the Mekong Delta are potential growing areas for high-quality green-skinned pomelos. Both businesses and growers are ready to export this fruit to the US.
The US is one of Vietnam’s most discerning markets. According to the Plant Protection Department, fruit exports must meet US standards on the fruit cultivation area and fruit packing facility, and products must be irradiated at a stipulated factory under the supervision of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS).
The Plant Protection Department has launched programs to monitor pesticide residues, and provide guidelines for farmers and businesses to control pests and use pesticides safely.
Ngo Tuong Vy, Deputy Director of the Chanh Thu Import-Export Co., Ltd, a key fruit exporter to the US, said pomelo exports to the US must obtain VietGAP and GlobalGAP certifications.
Pomelo has become the seventh Vietnamese fruit licensed for export to the United States. The US authorities will consider import of fresh Vietnamese coconuts in the future.
- Vietnamese pomelo headed for US supermarket shelves
- Russia increases import of fresh Vietnamese pomelos
- Vietnam wants to increase dragon fruit export to Australia, New Zealand
- “Passport” for Mekong Delta fruits
- Fruit, vegetable exports fetch 2.5 billion USD in nine months
- Fruit and vegetable exports down over 12 percent in first seven months
- Northern Vietnam province’s red-flesh dragon fruit to hit shelves in Japan soon
- Ben Tre exports first batch of fruit to EU under EVFTA
- Seeking solutions to promote fruit consumption