The hybrid workshop, jointly held by the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT)’s Vietnam Trade Promotion Agency and the ASEAN-Japan Centre (AJC), aimed to improve Vietnamese enterprises’ capacity for agricultural export to Japan.
Le Hoang Tai, deputy head of the agency, noted that Vietnamese enterprises have applied international standards and cutting-edge technologies in production and processing, thus meeting requirements on food safety and hygiene.
Ta Duc Minh, Trade Consular at the Vietnamese Embassy in Japan, stressed that Vietnam has strength in agro-fishery products that are in great demand in Japan.
Ample room remains for Vietnam to boost exports to Japan (Photo: VNA)
However, Japan has non-tariff measures to protect domestic production, he said, noting the country’s strict requirements in terms of food hygiene and safety, and animal and plant quarantine, along with high travelling and transportation costs, among others.
He, therefore, suggested Vietnamese exporters make careful preparations in company profile and product catalogues to win potential partners' trust, and promote their products through the embassy’s trade office.
Tran Quoc Toan, deputy head of the Import-Export Department at the MoIT, said Vietnam is Japan’s 10th biggest supplier of vegetables and fruits, making up about 1.7 percent of Japan’s import value.
Vietnam and Japan have signed four free trade agreements, which have given competition advantages to Vietnamese businesses in the market, according to the official.
He called on Japanese competent agencies to further provide information about the market as well as policies and requirements regarding imports for the ministry, the trade office and other competent agencies of Vietnam.
Toan suggested the two sides coordinate in organising trade promotion activities, fairs and exchanges between the two countries’ businesses in suitable forms.
Enterprises need to improve production capacity and work to ensure the supply as well as product quality, play a more active role in trade promotion, and stay updated on the local taste, he said.
- Vietnamese firms get tips to boost export to Japan
- Online trade exchange to promote exports of consumer goods to Japan
- Vietnam-Japan trade promo event in support industries to take place in July 7
- Vietnam turns to retail channels to penetrate Japan market
- Enterprises seek ways to boost agricultural and aquatic exports
- Quality needed to boost agricultural, aquatic exports
- Vietnamese agricultural products introduced to Japan
- Local farming production needs reforms for higher export value
- Vietnam, Japan discuss boosting trade of consumer goods