Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Le Minh Hoan addressing the event (Photo: NDO/Thanh Tra)
NDO - The National Economics University in coordination with the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development held a symposium in Hanoi on November 16 to discuss the opportunities and challenges facing agricultural business and economics in the current context.
Speaking at the event, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Le Minh Hoan said that in order to adapt to the new situation, Vietnam needs to promote green agriculture, which fosters the application of technology and the effective use of natural resources. Green agriculture ensures the harmonious development of the three pillars of economy, society and environment, he explained.
He emphasised the importance of changing mind set from agricultural production to an agricultural economy, giving priority to raising the added value of agricultural products while lowering production costs, social costs, and environmental costs.
The country needs also targeting a high-tech, eco-friendly, responsible and sustainable agricultural sector instead of that with high output, he added.
Therefore, he urged to improve agricultural infrastructure, which not only facilitates the development of agricultural production but also agricultural economy, agriculture-based tourism and rural areas.
He also suggested proper digital transformation in agriculture and rural areas; better management in production, harvest and distribution; while enhancing human resource training, cooperation and connectivity in the sector.
Participants at the symposium exchanged views on a number of orientations to stimulate agricultural development during the process of reform and integration and promote brands of Vietnamese agricultural products.
They also discussed communication strategies for advertise Vietnamese farm products as well as experience in developing green supply chains of agricultural products.
- Digital transformation vital to agricultural development: Minister
- Agricultural sector enjoys trade surplus of over US$6 bln in eight months
- Vietnam keen on cooperating with Austrian university in life science research
- Agriculture and OCOP products fair opens in Hoa Binh
- Vietnam and Australia promote agricultural trade
- Safe Agriculture Week Fair 2020 opened
- Around 690 million people in world suffer from hunger
- Agriculture ministry seeks six ministries’ help in boosting farm produce consumption
- How does Vietnam apply hi-tech into agriculture?
- Discussions held to promote imports of agricultural products from US