Production of electronic parts at Youngbag Micromotor Vietnam in Vinh Phuc's Binh Xuyen Industrial Park. (Photo: VNA)
NDO/VNA – Vietnam is likely to remain foreign investors’ favoured destination despite the COVID-19 resurgence ravaging across the country, The Australia Financial Review (ARF) said in a story published earlier this week.
Though rapidly rising Delta COVID-19 infections have hit manufacturing in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam’s commercial hub, the big-picture story of Vietnam being a favoured destination for foreign investment is not expected to change, the daily newspaper said. Even as forecasts are trimmed, economists have faith the nation will bounce back.
“In recent decades, Vietnam has excelled in reeling in the big fish in electronics, footwear and clothing,” it said. “Low labour costs, reliable infrastructure and a smooth bureaucratic process have attracted the likes of Samsung, Foxconn, Nike, Adidas, Gap and Levis.” Many factories that are still open are striving to maintain production under the “3 in 1” policy whereby employees eat, sleep and work on site.
While some expats have cleared out, many others have stayed. “The small and medium-sized business owners who have investments here have stayed. Most are not panicking. They want to be here, so their companies can recover as soon as possible,” it quoted Simon Fraser, executive director of the Australian Chamber of Commerce (AustCham) in Vietnam, as saying.
HSBC has cut its economic growth forecast for Vietnam from 6.1 percent this year to 5.1 percent. “Despite near-term challenges Vietnam’s recovery prospects still look rosy with strong fundamentals,” wrote HSBC economist Yun Liu.
“Vietnam will bounce back because it has such a competitive advantage in labour costs,” she said.
- Binh Xuyen 2 Industrial Park: Attractive Destination
- Most favoured Vietnamese brands in 2020 honoured
- Foreign expert believes Vietnam remains very good destination for FDI
- Vietnam as a attractive destination to giant electronics companies
- VietnamBriefing Highlights Vietnam s Strengths in Foreign Investment Attraction
- Vietnam beats China, India to become next manufacturing hub
- Vinh Phuc Attracts 21 Projects in Jan - Sep
- Vinh Phuc attracts 21 new projects in nine months
- Dong Nai Province attracts US$226 million of FDI in first days of 2021