Seats on a high-speed passenger boat are removed to make room for transport of farm produce from the Mekong Delta to HCMC - PHOTO: GREENLINES DP
HCMC – Five high-speed passenger boats are used to transport essential goods, especially farm produce, from the Mekong Delta to HCMC from today, July 19, with each of them carrying 20 tons.
On July 18, the HCMC Department of Transport approved the plan to use high-speed passenger boats to speed up the transport of essential goods while the stay-at-home order is in force in the city, the local media reported.
The five boats of Greenlines DP Technology Co., Ltd transport food, such as rice, instant noodles, meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits and seafood; medical equipment; and materials serving the Covid-19 fight.
The company will negotiate with organizations and individuals in need of the cargo transport over the service fees. These boats will transport products from Long An, Tien Giang, Ben Tre and Vinh Long to the Bach Dang Wharf in downtown HCMC.
Greenlines DP Technology Co., Ltd had earlier proposed using high-speed boats, which are used to carry passengers from HCMC to Ba Ria-Vung Tau, to transport essential commodities, especially vegetables, from the Mekong Delta to HCMC. However, the passenger transport service had been suspended due to the pandemic.
The HCMC Departments of Transport and Industry and Trade have thrown their weight behind the proposal.
The municipal Department of Transport has granted QR identification codes for tens of thousands of vehicles transporting essential commodities, experts and workers to HCMC. However, road cargo transport has been bumpy since many Covid checkpoints have been set up between the southern provinces that are currently struggling to contain the raging pandemic.
- HCMC considers using high-speed boats to transport vegetables
- Ca Mau to launch sea route to Kien Giang’s tourist sites
- More southern provinces suspend passenger transport to/from virus-hit HCMC
- Drivers transporting essential goods prioritized for Covid-19 test: HCMC Transport Dept.
- An Giang stops bus services to/from virus-hit Dong Thap
- Long An suspends passenger transport while Danang closely watches IPs
- Mekong Delta provinces speed up transport infrastructure projects
- Kien Giang proposes suspending passenger flights between HCMC and Phu Quoc
- Vietnam cuts all passenger transport services to and from Danang to curb virus spread