A view of the Phu Quoc International Airport in Phu Quoc City, Kien Giang Province. Flights between the city and HCMC have been suspended - PHOTO: PLO
HCMC - The Ministry of Transport has approved the Kien Giang government’s proposal to suspend passenger flights between HCMC and Phu Quoc Island from today until further notice.
The ministry assigned the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam to look into the requests of airlines and the relevant State agencies on arranging special flights to transport medical workers and equipment. It must also coordinate with the relevant agencies to keep a close watch on the developments of the pandemic to promptly resume flights to/from the Phu Quoc International Airport.
Phu Quoc City chairman Huynh Quang Hung said express boat services to the island remain operational. However, the passengers of these boats must comply with anti-virus requirements of the Ministry of Health, the local media reported.
On July 5, the Kien Giang government proposed suspending air services between HCMC and Phu Quoc City.
According to the province, the pandemic has been raging in many parts of the country. If flights between HCMC and Phu Quoc are maintained, there is a high possibility of the disease spreading to the island, causing difficulties for the province to combat the pandemic, while its infrastructure and medical equipment for quarantine and Covid-19 treatment are insufficient.
- Kien Giang proposes suspending passenger flights between HCMC and Phu Quoc
- Air services between HCMC and Dong Hoi suspended due to Covid-19
- Air services on HCMC-Vinh route suspended
- Phu Quoc wants domestic flights suspended as Covid spreads
- Quang Ninh, Gia Lai suspend air services to/from HCMC as Covid-19 spreads
- Local tourists flock to Phu Quoc, air carriers offer more flights
- Domestic flights to HCMC reduced due to Covid-19
- HCMC-Haiphong air services suspended amid Covid concern
- Ca Mau to launch sea route to Kien Giang’s tourist sites