Workers process pineapples for export in the Mekong Delta province of An Giang. Vietnam’s fruit and vegetable exports rose 17.4% year-on-year to reach over US$2.06 billion in the first half of 2021 - PHOTO: VNA
HCMC - Vietnam exported fruits and vegetables worth over US$2.06 billion in the first half of 2021, increasing 17.4% compared with the same period last year, according to the Vietnam Fruit and Vegetables Association.
In June alone, the country exported fruits and vegetables worth US$356 million, surging 38% year-on-year.
On the other hand, the country imported fruits and vegetables worth US$686 million from January to June, falling 16.6% from the same period last year, resulting in a trade surplus of US$1.3 billion.
Exports of dragon fruit, watermelons and lychees achieved impressive growth in the first half of 2021. The country exported 1.2 million tons of dragon fruit, 290,000 tons of watermelons and over 51,000 tons of lychees, surging 138%, 132% and 44% year-on-year, respectively.
China, the United States, Japan and South Korea were Vietnam’s biggest fruit and vegetable importers in the year’s first half.
Fruit and vegetable exports to the U.S., China and Japan soared 132%, 116% and 109% year-on-year, respectively. China accounted for 62% of Vietnam’s total fruit and vegetable exports.
Since early June, the Vietnamese and Chinese competent agencies have reached an agreement to simplify customs procedures for fruit shipments from Vietnam to China.
Nine Vietnamese fruits that have been allowed to be shipped to China via official channels include mangoes, longans, dragon fruits, bananas, watermelons, jack fruits, lychees, rambutans and mangosteen.
Vietnam has suggested the Chinese authorities pave the way for the export of more Vietnamese fruits and vegetables such as sweet potatoes, durian, grapefruit, passion fruit, avocados and coconuts.
- Veggie, fruit exports fetch some US$1 billion in Jan-March
- Fruit and vegetable exports hit over US$3.2 billion in 2020
- 7-month fruit and vegetable exports fetch nearly USD2 billion
- Fruit, vegetable exports fetch 2.5 billion USD in nine months
- Fruit and vegetable exports down over 12 percent in first seven months
- Fruit and vegetable exports soar during four-month period
- Fruit and vegetable exports reach nearly US$2.72 billion in ten months
- Vegetable, fruit exports reach US$2.5 billion in nine months
- Fruit and vegetable exports plummet over nine months