Customers buy products at a supermarket in District 7. HCMC has pledged to ensure sufficient supply of food for local residents - PHOTO: DAO LOAN
HCMC – The HCMC Department of Industry and Trade has worked out plans to provide more than 10,000 tons of food per day to local residents and implemented programs to connect with 22 other provinces to ensure the sufficient supply of food for residents during the social distancing period.
Bui Ta Hoang Vu, director of the municipal Department of Industry and Trade, said the department would ensure market stability while fighting the pandemic, and residents in the city do not need to flock to supermarkets and convenience stores to buy food for stockpiling.
Some 8,000 tons of vegetables and fruits will be available daily at the Binh Dien, Hoc Mon and Thu Duc wholesale markets. The volume will meet 70% of the demand from local residents. The remaining 30% will be met by supermarkets and large distributors.
As for meat and fish, the city has some 700 tons of pork, while the supply of poultry and seafood is abundant.
As many local residents have been rushing to stock up on food, Vu said they should not be worried about the shortage of food. He has asked enterprises to enhance online sales channels to reduce contact and gatherings.
Many large supermarkets in the city have increased their supplies and worked out long-term plans to ensure sufficient essential commodities.
According to Saigon Co.op, besides increasing supplies, it will make contact with Covid-19 checkpoints and quarantine facilities to provide products.
The Domestic Market Department under the Ministry of Industry and Trade has coordinated with the HCMC Department of Industry and Trade to ensure the provision of products and deal with obstacles hindering the transportation of products.
- Businesses work to ensure sufficient supply of essential goods
- Hundreds of gift sets handed over to poor residents, children in Dak Nong
- Landslides leave seven dead, 46 others missing in Quang Nam
- Saigonese flock to supermarkets to stock for social distancing
- Localities prepare goods for Tet
- Industry and trade sector to ensure enough goods for Tet
- HCMC to meet Thu Thiem residents this month
- Tet Festival 2021 opens in HCMC
- Localities prepare goods for Lunar New Year holiday