An aircraft lands at Dien Bien airport in Dien Bien Province. Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc has approved a project to expand the airport – PHOTO: VNA
HCMC – Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc has approved a project to expand the Dien Bien airport in the northern mountainous province of Dien Bien, aimed at raising the airport’s annual capacity to 500,000 passengers, allowing the airport to receive larger aircraft and promoting the regional socioeconomic development.
The Government leader also approved a plan allowing the Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV) to be the investor of the expansion project, with total investment of over VND1.5 trillion.
The airport will be upgraded to handle huge aircraft such as Airbus A320s and A321s and those of an equivalent size. The expansion project will be executed in 34 months.
PM Phuc asked the Ministry of Planning and Investment to take responsibility for the appraisal results of the project’s investment decision and to monitor, assess investment and management activities in line with prevailing regulations.
Besides this, the provincial authorities were told to be in charge of procedures, arranging an adequate amount of capital, creating optimal conditions for site clearance works and ensuring the efficient use of land after completing site clearance works.
The head of the Government asked the Ministry of Transport to team up with ACV to review activities linked to the feasibility study and ensure the adoption of aviation safety measures.
Currently, the airport can handle small aircraft such as ATR72 and serve 300,000 passengers per year.
- PM approves Dien Bien Airport expansion project
- PM okays VND1.55 trillion Dien Bien Phu airport expansion plan
- Ministry seeks PM’s approval for Dien Bien Phu airport expansion
- Investment ministry proposes upgrade of northwestern Vietnamese airport
- Don’t upgrade Dien Bien Airport: state capital manager
- Appraisal council set up for Sapa airport project’s pre-FS
- Central Vietnam airport embarks on $21 mln apron expansion
- Ca Mau seeks approval for airport expansion
- Prime minister approves Long Thanh airport’s first phase