The Saigon Times
HCMC – Strong demand for bluechips and upbeat investor sentiment helped the VN-Index of the Hochiminh Stock Exchange regain momentum at the level of over 1,060 points today, December 18.
The southern bourse made positive movements as the main index jumped by 15.69 points, or 1.49%, from the session earlier, at 1,067.46, with winning stocks outnumbering losers by 301 to 129.
Trade volume totaled 623.6 million shares worth VND13.2 trillion, down 6.6% in volume and 8.9% in value against the day earlier. There were 63.6 million shares worth VND1.5 trillion traded in block deals.
Many bank stocks such as VCB, TCB, HDB and MBB hit their intraday high, while lender VPB went up to the ceiling price, contributing to the strong rally of the main index.
Some other bluechips, including brewery SAB, gas firm GAS, housing developer VHM and steelmaker HPG, also were in positive territory.
Lender STB took the lead on the southern market by liquidity with a matching volume of 25.1 million shares, followed by HPG with some 20 million shares changing hands.
The southern exchange also saw a remarkable increase of many securities brokerage stocks, with SSI, BSI and VND shooting up to the ceiling prices.
The strong gain of bluechips also sent the HNX-Index of the Hanoi Stock Exchange up 5.02 points, or 2.92%, from the session earlier, at 177.02. Some 88.9 million shares valued at VND1.06 trillion were traded on the northern bourse.
Service company THD closed the day at its ceiling price, while lenders SHB and NVB, industrial development firm IDC and forestry corporation VIF soared by over 2%.
- Daiwa Vietnam breaks ground on US$40-million factory in Danang
- Investments in industrial zones in HCMC increase 7.2% in Jan-Oct
- SonKim Land and its attempt to build sustainable society
- Golden Brand Awards launched in HCMC
- Hue promotes safe tourism among guests who love short trips
- Gasoline price falls slightly
- U.S. expects to deepen comprehensive partnership with Vietnam
- VEC seeks advance capital for Ben Luc-Long Thanh expy project
- Profit-taking pressure sends VN-Index down
- MUJI opens Southeast Asia’s largest store in HCMC