The Saigon Times
HCMC – The VN-Index of the Hochiminh Stock Exchange hit a new high of 1,066.99 points today, December 16, up 1.11% from the session earlier, backed by upbeat investor sentiment and strong gain of bank stocks.
Closing the day, 296 stocks rose while 134 others fell on the southern bourse. Trade volume totaled 591.6 million shares worth VND11.9 trillion, down 12% in both volume and value against the previous session. There were 35 million shares valued at VND917.4 billion traded in block deals.
The bank group stole the limelight as many stocks attracted strong cash flow. Lender TCB shot up to the ceiling price and reported a matching volume of over 29 million shares.
Another bank stock STB closed the day up 4% and saw some 24 million shares change hands, while lenders LPB and MBB also became actively traded stocks with 19.5 million shares and 18.6 million shares transacted, respectively.
Lender ACB was in positive territory and reported a matching volume of some 10.5 million shares, while other bank stocks VCB, BID, CTG and VPB also ended the day up and were among key supporters of the southern bourse.
Two aviation stocks VJC and HVN also contributed to the strong rise of the main index, finishing the session up 2.5% and 3%, respectively.
Many small-cap stocks gained steam, with industrial zone developer ITA advancing 3.3% and property firm HAG continuing its upward spiral to end the day up 5%.
On the Hanoi Stock Exchange, the HNX-Index added 3.75 points, or 2.2%, from the session earlier, at 171.62, with 130 winners and 57 losers. There were 93 million shares valued at VND1.2 trillion changing hands.
Many large caps, including lender SHB, construction firm VCG and oil and gas enterprise PVS, made strong performance and closed the session up 0.6%-3%.
- SonKim Land and its attempt to build sustainable society
- Site clearance for HCMC’s metro line 2 behind schedule
- Hue promotes safe tourism among guests who love short trips
- Vietravel Airlines operates first charter flight
- VEC seeks advance capital for Ben Luc-Long Thanh expy project
- Central bank rejects U.S. designation of Vietnam as currency manipulator
- Profit-taking pressure sends VN-Index down
- Tet train tickets to be up for sale for second time
- Golden Brand Awards launched in HCMC