NDO – The total foreign direct investment (FDI) into Vietnam between the beginning of this year and June 20 reached US$15.67 billion, equivalent to 84.9% of the figure for same period last year, according to the Ministry of Planning and Investment.
There were 1,418 newly licenced projects during the Jan-June period, with registered capital of US$8.44 billion. There were 526 licenced projects from previous years registered as having adjusted their investment capital with additional capital of US$3.7 billion, up 26.8%.
During the six-month period, 4,125 foreign investors contributed capital and purchased shares with a total value of nearly US$3.51 billion, up 2.6%.
During the period, the processing and manufacturing industry witnessed the largest volume of newly licenced FDI projects, reaching US$8 billion, accounting for 51.1% of total newly registered capital. It was followed by the production and distribution of electricity, with US$3.95 billion, accounting for 25.2%; wholesale and retail (US$1.08 billion); and real estate (US$850 million).
Among the 98 countries and territories registering new projects in Vietnam in the first six months, Singapore was the largest investor, with US$5.44 billion, accounting for 34.7% of the total, followed by Thailand with US$1.58 billion (10.1%), China with US$1.58 million (10.1%) and then Japan, the Republic of Korea, and Taiwan (China).
Among the 57 localities receiving FDI in the six-month period, the southern province of Bac Lieu ranked top with US$4 billion. Ho Chi Minh City came next with over US$2 billion and Ba Ria – Vung Tau placed third with US$1.95 billion, followed by the capital Hanoi, Binh Duong province and Hai Phong city.
- Vietnam attracts US$2348 billion in FDI in ten months
- Chan May LNG power project to receive the investment up to $6 billion
- Foreign investment capital thrives in June
- Report on foreign direct investment in the eight months of 2020
- Vietnamese overseas investment increases 6.9 percent
- Singapore emerges as largest foreign investor over nine-month period
- FDI commitments to Vietnam down 15% to US$15.67 billion in H1
- Vietnam attracts over US$28.5 billion of FDI in 2020
- Vietnam attracts over 28.5 billion USD of FDI in 2020