The Ministry of Industry and Trade has revoked Thuong Nhat Hydropower Plant’s licences in the central province of Thua Thien-Hue for violating regulations.
Thuong Nhat Hydropower Plant’s licences in the central province of Thua Thien-Hue is revoked on November 27 for violating regulations.
The decision took effect from November 27.
According to a report from the ministry, the Thuong Nhat Hydropower Plant in Nam Dong District which was being built by the Central Hydro Power Joint Stock Company with investment of over VND341 billion (USD14,826) has a capacity of 11MW and a reservoir capacity of 17 million cubic metres.
The project had not been completed and so was not allowed to store water for operation.
However, Thuong Nhat Hydropower Plant had been found to repeatedly breached the water storage ban from Thua-Thien Hue authorities in the rainy and flooding season, especially during recent storms Molave and Vamco.
Local authorities then asked the plant to discharge water through five spillway gates following the Storm Molave, but the plant continued to store water after Storm Vamco.
According to vice-chairman of Nam Dong District People’s Committee, Le Thanh Ho, since February, the plant has stored water unlawfully many times.
On November 17, the Ministry of Industry and Trade established a team to inspect the project’s compliances on reservoir management and natural disaster prevention and control. The inspection team proposed to revoke the licence after finding the violations at the plant.
- Hydropower plant flouts water storage ban
- Water pipe breaks, floods central Vietnam hydropower plant
- Work on Rao Trang 3 Hydropower Plant project requested to be suspended
- One more worker found at hydropower plant landslide
- 15 people still missing after landslide at Vietnam hydropower plant
- Rescuers still searching for victims at Rao Trang 3 hydropower plant
- 13 members of landslide rescue party unaccounted for
- Fifth body retrieved from hydropower plant landslide, 12 still missing
- Two more bodies retrieved from Vietnam hydropower plant landslide