By Hung Le
HCMC – Thousands of billions of U.S. dollars of accumulated capital from Japanese firms are awaiting investment opportunities in various foreign markets, including Vietnam, which has drawn attention from investors thanks to potential merger and acquisition (M&A) deals.
Masataka Sam Yoshida, global head of the Cross-border Division at RECOF Corporation, told the Vietnam M&A Forum 2020 in HCMC on November 24 that M&A deals involving Japan’s companies in the local market are on the rise and will surge after the coronavirus outbreak.
Yoshida attributed the potential strong wave of investment inflows from Japan into Vietnam to the demand from Japanese firms for a new market with young human resources to expand their reach.
As of late October, as many as 21 M&A transactions between Vietnam and Japan had been conducted, making Vietnam rank fifth among countries with a high rate of M&A deals with Japan.
Yoshida said that some 2,000 Japanese firms are doing business in Vietnam, and the country is regarded as a safe and potential investment destination. As such, when travel restrictions are removed, a huge wave of investment inflows from Japan will enter Vietnam.
“Japanese firms’ interest in the Vietnamese market is huge, even during the coronavirus pandemic,” said Yoshida.
Speaking at the forum, Deputy Minister of Planning and Investment Tran Quoc Phuong said that M&A activities in Vietnam are expected to recover from mid-2021 due to some key policies of the Government.
“Despite multiple challenges and difficulties, the market will see a positive recovery of M&A activities in 2021 and the next few years,” Phuong said.
- Japanese M&A set for post-pandemic surge in Vietnam
- Japanese investors seek M&A partners in Vietnam
- Japanese investors lead M&A in real estate market
- Vietnam M&A Forum 2020 gets underway in HCM City
- Vietnam regarded as top investment destination for Japan businesses
- Japanese businesses eye investment opportunities in Vietnam
- Hanoi conference seeks to promote Japanese investment inflows
- Billions of dollars from Japan expected to flow into Vietnam via M&A deals
- Vietnam willing to welcome investment from Japanese IT firms: Official
- Japanese investors explore Vietnam’s investment climate