By Le Anh
HCMC – Vietnam Railways Corporation will sell some 30,000 train tickets for the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday, or Tet, for the second time from 9.00 a.m. on November 25 following the first batch for grabs last month.
The 30,000 train tickets will serve train trips before the Tet holiday, from February 3 to 10, 2021, and after the holiday, between February 15 and 21, 2021.
In the last few years, Tet train tickets were sold out one month after they were put up for sale, but this year has been different. Since the Tet train tickets were put up for sale in October, the number of unsold tickets has remained high.
Saigon Railway Transport JSC attributed the slow sale of tickets to the coronavirus pandemic, which has hit hard the country’s economy and affected the income of residents.
Besides, as international air routes have yet to be reopened due to the ongoing global pandemic, local air carriers have focused on tapping the domestic market, resulting in the railway industry facing fierce competition from the aviation industry.
Some 82,000 tickets remain unsold, with some 27,000 tickets for train services from HCMC to Nha Trang and Hanoi City between February 2 and 11, 2021. Meanwhile, some 55,000 tickets for trains from Hanoi to Nha Trang and HCMC, which are set to serve the post-Tet period, from February 12 to 26, 2021, are facing a similar fate.
- 2nd phase of train ticket sale for Tet holidays starts on November 25
- More railway tickets available for Tet
- Passengers can return train tickets online from September 1
- Fee cut extension sought for Cai Mep-Thi Vai Port
- VNR launches app to sell tickets
- Hanoi railway to apply 50-percent discount on fare for kids on Tet holiday
- Vietnam Airlines offers over 2 million tickets for Tet
- Vietnam Airlines puts up for sale over 2 million tickets for Tet
- Vietnam Railway offers 50 percent discount on tickets in the period of January 2021
- Vietjet sells 1.5 million tickets for Tet holiday 2021