The Saigon Times
HCMC – After a steep drop yesterday, the strong cash flow into bluechips helped the benchmark VN-Index of the Hochiminh Stock Exchange rebound strongly today, November 17 adding 1811 points, or 1.9%, to close at 968.9 points.
The number of winning stocks was three times that of losing ones, with 320 winners and 104 losers. The southern market saw 400.9 million shares worth VND7.9 trillion change hands, falling by 23% in both volume and value against the session earlier.
In the VN30 basket, construction enterprise ROS was the only one that stayed flat, while 29 other stocks gained ground.
The biggest gainer was petroleum stock GAS, surging by 4.1% to VND75000 followed by property firm VIC, up 3.9% to VND106000 and financial service provider TCH, up 3.6% to VND18750.
Other large caps that soared by over 3% included lender VPB, steelmaker HPG and securities corporation SSI, increasing by 3.5%, 3.4% and 3.1%, respectively.
Many other large-cap stocks expanded by over 2%, including lenders VCB, TCB, MBB and HDB, jewelry firm PNJ and property firm VHM.
TCB and HPG were the most actively traded stocks in the basket, with 17.4 million and 1622 million shares changing hands, respectively.
Steel stocks were also among the best performers, with NKG and TLH shooting up to the ceiling prices, while HSG extended by 5.2% to VND19100.
On the Hanoi Stock Exchange, the HNX-Index added 322 points, or 225% against the previous session, to close the day at 14658 points, with gainers far outnumbering decliners by 83 to 40. There were over 66 million shares worth VND113 trillion traded on the northern bourse.
Major contributors included lender ACB, increasing by 382% to VND27200 and petroleum stock PVS, up 541% to VND15600. ACB and PVS led the northern market by liquidity with 1677 million and 1055 million shares changing hands, respectively.
- RCEP signed, forming world’s largest free trade area
- Local fuel prices edge down
- International consultant to be chosen for North-South express railway project
- Vietnam striving to become destination for global investors: PM
- Hue promotes safe tourism among guests who love short trips
- Investments in industrial zones in HCMC increase 7.2% in Jan-Oct
- Gasoline price falls slightly
- PM agrees on extra US$2 billion investment in Mekong Delta
- SonKim Land and its attempt to build sustainable society