Vietnam’s Ministry of Information and Communications (MIC) has greenlighted the commercial test run for 5G networks and services from two state-owned telcos Viettel and MobiFone, which will last until the middle of next year.
According to the MIC, Viettel and MobiFone were granted permission to try out commercial 5G networks and telecommunications services until June 302021.
The commercial test rounds will provide the telcos with insights on technology and market reactions before the official commercialization of 5G services.
Notably, the test permission would allow Viettel Telecom to deploy no more than 140 base transceiver stations (BTS) to run 5G trials in Hanoi.
Viettel is entitled to use three bandwidths, 2500-2600MHz, 3700-3800MHz, and 27100-27500MHz, for their 5G tests.
Meanwhile, MobiFone is allowed to launch 5G using no more than 50 BTSes in Ho Chi Minh City using the bandwidth 2600MHz.
Both Viettel and MobiFone are permitted to try out land-based mobile networks using radio bandwidth compatible with IMT 2020 technology, as well as Release 15 or higher of 3GPP standards.
The test runs will be applied to mobile subscribers of the approved telcos who have access to public mobile telecommunication services as well as designated codes and mobile numbers.
The telcos must report to the ministry before expanding the scope of these test runs.
Furthermore, they will have to comply with standards on telecommunications quality control, networks, and information safety during their tryouts.
The mobile network providers are also ordered to return telecommunications resources provided for the tests when their license expires, or when instructed by the MIC.
- Viettel, MobiFone licenced to commercially test 5G
- Vietnam grants 5G commercial test licenses to Viettel, MobiFone
- Viettel, MobiFone licensed to commercially test 5G
- Vietnamese telecom carriers licensed to pilot 5G commercial running
- Vietnam to cease importing 2G, 3G phones next year
- Four mobile companies strike deal for sharing telecom infrastructure
- Vietnam gears up to deploy commercial 5G in late 2020
- Viettel named best mobile service provider in Vietnam
- Mobile network operators agree to share 1,200 transceiver stations
- Finance ministry proposes extending car registration fee cut by six months