A graphic design of the proposed airport in Quang Tri province
Hanoi (VNA) – The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV) has proposed an airport for domestic flights in the central province of Quang Tri to the Ministry of Transport .
The new facility is suggested to be located in Gio Quang and Gio Mai communes of Gio Linh district, about 7km from the province’s Dong Ha city.
The airport, to serve both civilian and military purposes, will have a 2400m-long and 45m-wide runway capable of handling A320s, A321s and similar aircraft. Its passenger
terminal is expected to be able to serve up to 1 million travellers every year.
Meanwhile, land will also be reserved for the expansion of passenger and cargo terminals in the future when necessary, according to the proposal.
The CAAV estimated more than 8 trillion VND (345.6 million USD) is needed for the project implementation.
If this proposal is approved, visitors to Quang Tri will no longer have to transit Phu Bai or Dong Hoi airports in the neighbouring provinces of Thua Thien-Hue and Quang Binh before going by road there. The new airport will be about 93km from Dong Hoi in the north and 88km from Phu Bai in the south.
The CAAV cited the Quang Tri People’s Committee as saying that many domestic and foreign investors, including FLC Group and Vietjet Air, have expressed their intention to invest in this airport.
According to the Prime Minister’s Decision 236/QD-TTg that approves adjustments to the planning of air transport development until 2020 with a vision to 2030 the Quang Tri airport is among domestic ones to be put into use between 2020 and 2030 and will cover 312ha of land./.
- Noi Bai airport planned to welcome 63 million passengers per year
- Vietnam plans further expansion to Hanoi’s Noi Bai Airport
- Noi Bai airport may have capacity double to 63 million passengers by 2030
- ACV proposes development of Terminal T2 project at Dong Hoi airport
- 3 corporations want to invest in airports more than 8,000 billion VND in Quang Tri
- Aviation authority proposes shortening Noi Bai airport closure time
- Con Dao airport to serve two million passengers annually after upgrade
- Ministry proposes upgrading Chu Lai airport to international airport
- FLC Group plans to build Quang Tri Airport
- CAAV proposes developing six airports under PPP format