Illustrative image (Photo: VNA)
Hanoi (VNA) – Nearly 90 solar power plants with a total capacity of about 4000 MWp were put into operation in the second quarter of this year, setting a record so far, the Electricity of Vietnam (EVN) reported.
The country now has 102 operational solar power plants with a combined capacity of 6314 MWp, mostly in the south central provinces of Ninh Thuan and Binh Thuan, the group said.
EVN said despite difficulties caused by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the group, relevant agencies and localities have made great efforts to complete the power transmission infrastructure in service of 113 solar and wind power projects whose cumulative capacity reaches 5700 MW.
Renewable energy projects included in the planning scheme have a total capacity of 17000 MW. Among them, many solar and wind power projects are expected to be put in place soon to benefit from the fee-in-tariffs (FIT) price mechanism.
At the end of August 2020 solar and wind power projects of nearly 23000 MW had been approved, with solar electricity making up about 11200 MW.
To facilitate the operation of these projects and improve the capacity of the national power grid , EVN has focused its resources on building and upgrading electricity transmission facilities.
Under the National Energy Development Strategy by 2030 with vision to 2045 Vietnam prioritises wind and solar power and encourage investment in power plants using urban waste, biomass and solid waste in parallel with environmental protection and the circular economy.
The proportion of renewable energy would account for 15 to 20 percent of total power output by 2030 and 25 to 30 percent by 2045.
According to the strategy, the country will build a smart and effective power network connected to the region. By 2030 Vietnam will be among three ASEAN countries with the highest access-to-electricity index./.
- Solar power production triples
- Nearly 20,000 rooftop solar power projects installed
- More than 100,000 rooftop solar power projects put into operation
- PM asks to manage solar power projects for national security
- 35Mwp solar power farm opens in Ninh Thuan
- Transmission line problems might dash solar power plant hopes
- Solar power boom poses a distribution challenge
- Vietnam to stop licensing of wind power plants
- Vietnam firm launches country’s largest solar farm amid renewables drive
- Largest solar plant in Southeast Asia begins operating in Vietnam