The Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT) has forecast that total import-export revenue this year may reach a new record, at between 640 – 645 billion USD, with a slight trade deficit.
More stories at Vietnam Insider’s homepage.
The ministry attributed the results to great efforts of the business community in overcoming difficulties from COVID-19 to maintain and recover production, especially those in the garment and textile, and leather sectors.
According to the ministry, by the end of this year, businesses can regain a growth rate like before the pandemic broke out. Sectors that are traditionally strong in export such as telephone, electronics, machinery and accessories are also likely to post export growth of 15-25 percent this year, it said.
The MoIT said that after three years of implementing the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) and one year of the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA), those deals’ positive impact on Vietnam’s exports has shown clearly, especially in markets without any FTA with Vietnam before. For example, exports to Canada, Mexico and Peru have been increasing at 25-30 percent per year.
With the EVFTA, Vietnamese goods have enjoyed stronger competitiveness in the EU market thanks to preferential tariffs.
However, the ministry also pointed to major difficulties facing businesses, including labour shortage, especially in southern localities, as well as a lack of materials for production, high logistics cost, and restrictions from COVID-19 prevention and control measures.
Source: VNA, according Dan Tri
- Import-export revenue forecast to hit new record in 2021: MoIT
- Vietnam’s key industries target XL goals
- Vietnam eyes US$600 billion in export turnover in 2021
- Key export sectors the target of M&As by foreign investors
- How can Vietnam meet the target of $600 billion in foreign trade by the end of 2021
- Trade surplus hits record high of 19.1 billion USD
- Despite the impact of the COVID-19, Vietnam sees strong import, export recovery in Q1 of 2021
- Textile-garment exports to continue declining
- Vietnam sees import-export value rise in Jan-May