On July 30, American veteran Harold Setser finally came face-to-face with the daughter he was forced to leave behind in Vietnam in 1971.
Vietnamese War Veterans' Association in Ukraine Marks 5th Anniversary
Truth told about Vietnam War by an American veteran
Companies producing Agent Orange still not held accountable for their wrongdoing
Phuong Nguyen hugs Harold Setser for the first time, alongside her sons Anthony and Steven Van Doan. Photo: WJHL
It was a meeting 50 years in the making.
On Thursday, American veteran Harold Setser finally came face-to-face with the daughter he was forced to leave behind in Vietnam in 1971.
The late-night reunion took place at Memphis International Airport. Phuong Nguyen and her two sons, Anthony and Steven Van Doan, flew from Connecticut to Memphis to meet Setser.
To say Setser was excited was an understatement, cited WJHL.
“I’m so happy to find my daughter; it’s been a long time,” said Setser. “For me, the war is finally over.”
Setser and Nguyen’s mother in Vietnam. Photo: WJHL
Setser was in the Air Force during the Vietnam War when he met Phuong’s mother. He left the Air Force and went directly to a civilian job as a contractor, but he had to leave the country when his visa expired. Phuong Nguyen was just four months old at the time.
”I met her mother in Vietnam. I was a GI. I was in the Air Force. I was separated in country, and I went to work for the American Embassy,” Harold Setser said, reported Fox13memphis.
Setser said he never forgot about his daughter and never stopped looking for her.
“I looked for her through various places even before the internet, but I was looking for the wrong name,” he said. “She was adopted. So, I was looking for the wrong name. If it hadn’t been for the DNA test, I never would have found her.”
American Veteran reunites with long lost daughter in Memphis. Video: WJHL
- Unbeaten Benavidez defends super middleweight crown
- All Ukrainian Union of War Veterans declares support for Vietnamese Agent Orange victims
- Vietnam War Veteran Association in Russia celebrates Reunification Day
- Truth told about Vietnam War by an American veteran
- Daughter of Covid-19 patient in HCMC’s District 3 tests positive
- Vietnamese-American songtress Lệ Thu dies
- Vietnamese man jumps to death from high-rise building after killing wife, daughter
- DTiNews readers support father, daughter facing cancer
- Vietnam War vet appeals French court s Agent Orange ruling