Vietnamese yogurt pudding with black sticky rice (sua chua nep cam) is the best desert to beat the heat in the summer in Vietnam. The perfect mix of smooth, sweet and sour yogurt and sticky black glutinous rice can win the hearts of not only Vietnamese people but also foreigners.
Here are steps to make Vietnamese yogurt pudding with black sticky rice (Recipe from Street Food Vietnam by Jerry Mai)
350 g(12 oz) glutinous black rice, soaked in cold water overnight
2 pandan leaves
60 g(2 oz) grated palm sugar pinch of sea salt
295 g(13½ oz) tin condensed milk
60 g(2 oz/¼ cup) natural yoghurt
This recipe needs to be started 1 day in advance to soak the rice and prepare the yoghurt.
1. Pour the condensed milk into a large bowl. Fill the condensed milk tin with hot water and add to the condensed milk. Add another tin of hot water followed by a tin of room temperature water. Whisk until well combined, then whisk in the yoghurt. Strain the mixture into 12 individual serving jars or one large glass jar. Seal.
2. Place the jars in a large saucepan and pour enough boiling water into the pan to come three-quarters of the way up the side of the jars. Cover and set aside for 8 hours or, preferably, overnight.
3. Remove the jars from the pan, and set aside in the fridge until set and completely chilled.
4. Drain and rinse the rice, then place in a large saucepan with the pandan leaves and 1 litre (34 fl oz/4 cups) water. Set over medium–high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, then stir through the palm sugar and salt and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until the rice is soft with a gentle bite and the water is absorbed. Transfer the rice to a bowl and set aside in the fridge until cool.
5. Spoon the sticky rice into tall glasses and top with the Vietnamese yoghurt. Serve.
- Recipe Banh Troi nuoc Vietnamese glutinous rice ball Cold Food Festival sweet desserts
- Xoi Ngu Sac (five-coloured steamed glutinous rice)
- Rice with sautéed shrimps and black pepper sauce
- Insider tips for perfect Chung cake with Video
- Sticky rice dumpling village busy during Doan Ngo Festival
- The cơm gà or chicken rice
- Vinamilk exports large shipments of seed, condensed milk to China
- Recipe Vietnamese egg coffee Ca phe trung
- Banh gai, the other specialty of Thanh Hoa